PCB Layout Engineer
This is a unique opportunity to join a company that is the market leader in fiber-to-the-home, and at the forefront of how data centers meet the rapidly growing demands of the cloud data industry. You’ll be part of a small, collaborative team that has been able to nimbly deliver some of the most successful new product launches for the company. This is a learning organization that values its culture; where taking risks, failing fast, and being transparent with your team is not only encouraged but is the cornerstone of their success. Here, it’s multi-faceted, it’s fluid, and most of all, innovative. This is a full-time position located in West Hills, CA, USA.
You will be responsible for the layout and routing of advanced technology printed circuit boards in both rigid and flex with signal data rates up to 10+ GB/s. It will contribute in all phases of the products design, including placement, routing, constraint table management, and design optimization. Generation of all fabrication and assembly documents for product development and production is also required. You’ll be tasked with:
- Participating in engineering design reviews, analyzing design specifications and understanding electrical/mechanical constraints to proactively determine design challenges, design feasibility and ensure cost effective designs.
- Utilizing preliminary schematics, part lists, design goals, impedance requirements and other early design information to determine material selection, stack-up requirements, placement options, design rules and routing/layer count feasibility.
- Working with the hardware design team, cleaning up the preliminary schematics, running RF impedance calculations and creating the layout for the new rigid, flex & rigid/flex multilayer printed circuit board.
- Working with the Mechanical team to design PCBs fitting into Mechanics.
- Generating gerbers for supplier DFM reviews and seek designs meeting fabrication requirements. Delivering best in class PCB design to high-volume manufacturing.
- Assisting as necessary in schematic and PCB footprint development.
- Assisting with PCBA failure analysis and determination of corrective actions.
Is this You?
- You possess a Bachelor’s Degree (or above) in Electrical Engineering (preferred) or equivalent experience.
- You have demonstrated success for at least 3+ years’ with multiplayer (8+), high speed (10G+) PCB layout, including multi-layer flex/rigid board layout designs, co-planar waveguides, high-speed differential and single ended impedance controlled signal routing, transmission lines, microstrip and stripline routing, chip-on-board (COB), BGA technology with pin pitch as small as 0.5mm, and RF signal paths at 10 GB/s data rates & higher.
- You are familiar with EDA tools; Cadence concept capture, Allegro PCB Designer, CAM350 and Auto CAD is required.
- You have 3+ years’ experience of generating fabrication and assembly drawings along with generating panel array drawings.
- You have 3+ years’ experience of calculating RF impedance by using Polar.
- You come with a strong understanding of end-to-end printed board fabrication processes and requirements including material selections, drill and plating processes, etch, lamination etc.
- You bring a strong understanding of assembly line processes including application of solder paste, stencils, SMT, hot bar soldering/hand soldering, wash and inspection, etc.
- You must have a good understanding of stubs, reflections, crosstalk, & switching noise.
- You have a good understanding of IPC design standards and specifications required, working experience with IPC documents 4202, 4203, 4552, 4556, 6012, 6013, 7094 and 7095.
- Any experience with RF simulation tools (HFSS/ADS) is a plus.
- Experience with optic transceivers/line cards layout design is a plus.
- You’re able to travel approximately 5% per year.