Director of Development
UpTrending is a rapidly growing digital marketing & technology services company with a rich history of working with some of the most exciting companies in the tech world. Over the past 10 years, we have seen our clients go from stealth to unicorn; from idea to acquisition. We love helping our clients succeed, and this is an opportunity to join us in a newly-created role as we leverage the same insights in our own evolution.
As our Director of Development, you will play a key role in driving the conceptualization and execution of the technology that’s at the core of our value proposition. You’ll have technical ownership of all UpTrending projects, managing a team of front and back-end developers as you work with our Project and Support teams to provide our clients with high-quality development services. We will look to you to ensure that your team has the skill set and resources needed to succeed.
You will work with the Engineering, PM and Account teams on new client projects, from initial business development and discovery phases through implementation and deployment. In addition, you will maintain and enhance existing web properties while driving to best practices.
On any given day, you can expect to:
- Lead development teams on assigned projects through all aspects of execution including requirements gathering, solution architecture, coding and QA
- Manage and provide direct support to 3-5 developers including professional development, 1:1 meetings, and general guidance/advice
- Work directly with the Director of Project Management to streamline and standardize documentation, processes, and tech resourcing
- Serve as the primary technical contact to clients; support PM and Account teams in developing timing and resource allocations, technical specifications, and scope of work documentation
- Define and maintain best practices in development, documentation, standards support, and QA
- Participate in daily team calls and provide technical input
- Create high-level technical design documentation
- Perform code reviews and provide technical review/ feedback to engineers
Is this You?
Your people and process management experience include:
- A depth of experience in leading web development teams. This means you have a strong history of having successfully managed a team to timely product delivery, provided coaching and mentoring, and implemented best practices. You’re a hands-on manager who brings a detailed technical understanding of your team’s projects.
- A strong history of creating clear lines of communication with internal and external clients. You have been instrumental in raising the bar in terms of quality delivery and communication.
- Ideally, some experience managing geographically distributed teams, including contractors.
Your academic and technical background includes:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, another science or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of building web applications in PHP.
- Prior success actively driving best practices in the web application development process including versioning, building, deployment, migrations, etc.
- Expert knowledge of the front-end development ecosystem: from CSS and HTML standards to build tools like Gulp and preprocessors like Sass.
- Strong knowledge of WordPress development best practices, including extending existing functionality, creating custom themes/plugins, and working with its API.
- Experience consuming web services and integrating 3rd party APIs.
- Working experience with CRM platforms (Marketo, Hubspot, Pardot), particularly their forms and APIs.
- Understanding of common web analytics suites (Google Analytics, GTM, Heap) and experience implementing these systems.
- Knowledge of with SEO, Security, and Usability best practices.