BrightInsight is operating with a full remote workforce for the immediate future. When health and safety standards can ensure employee safety, employees will return to the office. This Controller will be expected to work at least 4 days in the BrightInsight San Jose office.
BrightInsight is a global startup with a regulated IoT platform for biopharma and medtech. They’ve raised $65M in the last 10 months and are headquartered in San Jose, CA. Since launching the BrightInsight Platform in 2018, the company has quickly established itself globally as the de facto underlying digital health infrastructure for the world’s top biopharma and medtech companies.
You will be mentored and report to a VP of Finance that has over 15 years of experience in Finance and Assurance Advisory Service positions at multiple startups and public entities in the tech industry.
In partnership with the VP of Finance, you will lead the accounting team by creating a great foundation of processes and systems that will enable our company to grow and scale. You must have the ability to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment, be able to manage multiple stakeholders and groups simultaneously, and have strong communication skills. In addition, you will be responsible for effectively designing policies and procedures to ensure the accurate and timely preparation of financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
You can expect to:
- Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP.
- Lead revenue recognition policies and procedures in accordance with US GAAP.
- Own the financial close process and all associated processes and reporting to deliver accurate and timely results to the organization to facilitate critical decision making.
- Develop, implement, and maintain the internal systems and financial controls consistent with BrightInsight’s policies and regulatory guidelines, ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal tax requirements and filings.
- Lead a team of accounting professionals with responsibilities for the general ledger, tax, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, artist payments, financial reporting, stock plan administration, and external audit relationships.
- Oversee international entity management and review financials to ensure compliant with US GAAP and properly consolidated
- Provide leadership and vision for scaling the team and our financial infrastructure to keep up with the demands of our high-growth business.
- Partner with department leaders to understand key issues and business drivers.
- Understand and document reporting needs, collaborate on operational issues, develop creative solutions in the absence of perfect systems, and provide business guidance and insight through financial reporting.
- As a critical leader, the Controller will build relationships and partner with all departments to provide data and insights to help managers run the company and make effective decisions.
- Evaluate opportunities for scale and growth and consider ways to drive efficiency and automation.
- Lead ad hoc projects as required by the business.
Is this you?
- 10+ years experience, currently a Director of Accounting, Assistant Controller, or Controller preferably in both US and Global operating environments
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics, or related field
- CPA strongly preferred
- 5+ years Big 4 assurance/audit experience
- Strong technical accounting background
- US GAAP and knowledgeable with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX)
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited procedures currently exist.
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others
- Excellent skills in accuracy, organization, and problem solving
- Experience in helping drive toward IPO readiness a plus
- ERP implementation experience and/or working knowledge of Sage Intacct a plus
BrightInsight provides competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional atmosphere. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented people in the business.